6864 Chrisphalt Drive • Bath, PA 18014
Metal Bellows Expansion Joints
For the highest quality custom metal bellows expansion joints, turn to FlexCom, the experts in industrial expansion joints since 1991. FlexCom designs and builds each metal bellows to your specifications to ensure these highly sensitive components can reliably negotiate a wide range of challenging load requirements. Save money and substantially reduce wear and tear on your ductwork and surrounding components with custom designed and built metal bellows from FlexCom. Learn why FlexCom metal bellows deliver the greatest reliability for harsh environments.
FlexCom’s metal bellows are typically made from stainless steel to handle pressure up to 300 psi, temperature loads up to 2500°F, and the transfer of liquids through joints and surrounding piping. To compensate for the stiffness of stainless steel, FlexCom’s team carefully engineers the spring rate of the metal bellows based on your unique application. For ease in installation, we customize the mounting flanges to your bolt pattern using either fixed or floating cage nut configurations.
Our engineers carefully consider:
- Design. FlexCom offers many metal bellows designs, each providing variances in stiffness, movement compensation and heat/pressure load resistance. Learn more about FlexCom’s metal bellows designs.
- Steel ply count. FlexCom uses single or multiple plys of steel depending upon the particular application.
- Steel grades. Joint elasticity is increased by delicately varying the grades of stainless steel used in the metal bellows. By choosing the most appropriate grade of metal, our engineers build the most suitable and cost effective metallic expansion joints possible.
- Joint size. Depending on the application, we increase elasticity of metal bellows by increasing the size.
- External support. When necessary, we eliminate pressure thrust by adding external tie rods to the joint. Fixed pipe anchors also offer an excellent solution.
FlexCom Metal Bellows Compensate for Harsh Environments
FlexCom designs and builds custom metal bellows expansion joints to ensure quality, performance and reliability regardless of environmental challenges. Properly designed metal bellows save money and substantially reduce wear and tear on ductwork and surrounding components. All FlexCom metal bellows are designed and built to compensate for the unique stress factors of an application.
FlexCom Metal Bellows Compensate for Movement
FlexCom designs and builds custom metal bellows to carefully compensate for movement stress created by intense heat found in common applications. These movements include:
- Angular. Angular movement occurs when one duct flange moves from a straight position, displaces the joint’s longitudinal axis/centerline and is no longer parallel to the opposing duct flange.
- Axial. Through compression and extension, the adjacent duct flanges move closer or farther away from each other along the same longitudinal axis.
- Lateral. Two adjacent duct flanges move closer or farther away from each other, perpendicular to the joint’s longitudinal axis.
- Rotational. Rotational movement includes either clockwise or counterclockwise rotation of adjacent duct flanges along the joint’s longitudinal axis. This creates stress between ducts as one flange rotates away from the other.
Looking For Custom Fabric Expansion Joints?
FlexCom’s composite fabric expansion joints tolerate heat stresses and pressure loads and provide movement compensation. Our flexible fabric expansion joints are a lightweight, economical option for low pressure and moderate heat applications. FlexCom fabric expansion joints are constructed of ChemShield®, a Teflon®-coated, high strength fiberglass cloth that is laminated to a sheet of pure Teflon. ChemShield provides maximum strength and protection from harsh environmental conditions.